SOPHIE WEBB'S WORDS

SOPHIE WEBB'S WORDS

Monday 12 November 2012

Interview with the Olympic gold medalist Dani King



Dani King is an English track cyclist who won a gold medal in the London 2012 Olympics alongside Laura Trott and Joanna Rowsell.
Sophie Webb spoke to the local 21 year old from Hamble about her experience of success and what she plans to achieve in the future.
Dani King won the 2011 and 2012 world team pursuit title with her team- mates so already has experience of winning. However winning an Olympic gold medal is any athletes dream.
“It’s only just started to sink in that we are Olympic Champions. When I got home and saw our gold postbox in Hamble Village it made me think wow we really have done it.”



“I've been riding for six years but only started training for the team pursuit at the end of 2010 and have been ever since. I train twice a day, six times a week!”
As the Olympics were held in London our British athletes got to perform in front of a home crowd.
“The first time I walked onto the track and heard the crowd roar I nearly started crying. But I had to pull myself together as I was racing in an hours time. The support was amazing and it helped me so much in the last kilo of the race when my legs really started to hurt!”
“I didn't focus on winning during the race I just focused on what I had to do on the bike. It was an amazing feeling to see the Americans in the final because I knew then that as long as we didn't crash, we would win.”
Danielle and her team won their race creating a new world record time of 3 minutes 14 seconds.
“Standing on the podium with two of my best friends was one of the best moments of my life. When I woke up I realised it wasn't a dream when I saw my gold medal on the bedside table.”



“I didn’t cry, I was so overwhelmed and couldn’t stop smiling. But when I reached my family who were all there to support me they all set me off!”
“Since that day my life has changed completely it has been full of interviews, partying, an amazing home coming and spending quality time with my friends and family.“
“I was even invited to Naomi Campbell’s Olympic Charity Ball with the likes of Kate Moss, Alexandra Burke and Vivienne Westwood! Kate told me to never take my gold medal off as it goes with everything!”



“Now, I am back on my bike training for the World Cup that’s in Glasgow. The team pursuit is on 16th November so make sure you watch it! I am going back to Manchester soon to start full time training, then I will have the World Championships in February 2013.”
“My target for Rio’16 is Gold and only Gold!”
Dani also offered advice to the young cyclist athletes that aspire to do well on track “You should never give up. I didn't win every bike race I rode and I have many ups and downs. But it’s how you come back from the down time’s that counts! If you have a dream, go for it because there is nothing that you can’t achieve. Most of all enjoy it and treasure the amazing memories along the way.
Dani King is set to visit her old school, Hamble Community Sports College as well as her previous college Barton Peveril to talk to the students about her achievement. She is also trying to encourage more people to take part in sport to keep them fit and healthy.



0 comments:

Post a Comment